Search Linux Wireless

Re: madwifi is not fully open source

On 12/02/2008, Holger Schurig <hs4233@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> If your device really doesn't have a firmware (some claim
> firmware is necessary to ensure real-time properties of the
> protocol) then you could also do:
>
> 4. write the driver for Windows in the usual, close source
>    form, "leak" or give docs to some Linux developers and
>    let they write the driver for the device. FCC can't object,
>    you didn't wrote the driver :-)

I don't see any reason (except finaincial) for a chip to have what is
currently, for many drivers, in firmware, already in a
ROM/EEPROM/Flash on the device.

Firmware upgrades can be made via some upgrade tool (please provide
such a tool for linux, too, even if closed source).

> Chances are actually quite high that the Linux people write a
> better driver than you :-)
>

> Did you know about Greg Kroah-Hahn's "driver for free" incentive?
> http://www.kroah.com/log/linux/free_drivers.html

I think the canonical place for wireless drivers is
http://linuxwireless.org/en/vendors/DriverDevelopment

--
Regards,
EddyP