Search Linux Wireless

Re: 802.11 infrastructure for regression testing - upstream / mac80211 / cfg80211

On 08/05/2013 09:59 AM, Kalle Valo wrote:
"Arend van Spriel" <arend@xxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

I am considering coming up with a new test framework for the brcm80211
drivers using python scripting, which is why I started py80211
experiment (available on github), but your mentioning of autotest
makes me want to revisit that.

No no, please forget anything your heard about autotest and just focus
on py80211 ;)

More seriously, my experience with the autotest and any other test
frameworks are that they are so freaking huge and difficult to maintain
that eventually they just die. Small is beautiful and I have been
dreaming about a lean and mean python based nl80211 test harness for
drivers, but never found the time to do anything (my usual story). So
I'm eagerly waiting how your py80211 will workout.

I am on vacation now so I may end up working on it. Although, I do have an almost 5yr old son claiming most of my time :-)

Anyway, there have been a few patches applied to libnl itself to support genl in python. So I can send and receive netlink messages and notifications as a python dictionary of netlink attributes. Now need to determine the level of abstraction I want to provide to users of py80211. Suggestions are more than welcome.

Regards,
Arend