Search Linux Wireless

Re: mac80211 QoS/aggregation questions, thoughts

Hi Ivo,

> All patches are currently in testing, and I hope to send them to wireless-2.6
> next weekend.

Ah cool, I'll hold off on doing anything then until then.

> rt2400pci, rt2500pci and rt2500usb have a special dedicated queue which is called
> the ATIM queue. The implementation is a guess since it was never used in the
> legacy drivers. But it is clear it contains frames which are send directly after the beacon.

Well I'd guess this is for the ATIM window. Broadcom firmware actually
has an ATIM queue *and* a broadcast/multicast queue, I would expect that
you should actually put broadcast/multicast traffic onto the beacon
queue (unless the beacon queue only sends one packet per beacon
interval)

ATIM is actually one of the things I haven't fully understood yet, see
IEEE 802.11 11.2.2.

> >      4. remove IEEE80211_TX_QUEUE_SVP, it's something strange and
> >         atheros specific
>
> I always wondered what the queue was. ;)

spectralink voice protocol. I have not even the slightest clue.

> HCCA queue is a big mysterie, there are registers to initialize it inside the device,
> but in implementation of the legacy driver the queue was unused, I haven't found a
> correct entry point yet to send frames over it, since that interface seems to be missing
> in the device... So either I am missing something or the queue was half-implemented
> in the device itself.. :S

No idea, that's HCF (802.11e) stuff. Maybe they just never got around to
finishing that implementation.

johannes