Search Linux Wireless

Re: wireless mini-summit agenda proposals?

On Thu, 2008-01-31 at 11:25 -0500, John W. Linville wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> It looks as if we have a few venue options for a third wireless summit.
> While this may seem like a luxury, none of the options are perfect
> for everyone and each has it's own potential drawbacks.  So rather
> than move blindly forward with any given venue, I think it would be
> good to discuss some potential agenda points.
>
> This will serve both to determine who is most interested in attending
> a summit and who might most need to be there.  This will also serve
> to justify the trouble of having a summit at all.  So, I'd like to
> open the 'floor' to discussion proposals.
>
> What discussions pertinent to Linux wireless development do
> you want to see?  What can you contribute to those discussions?
> How would a face-to-face discussion of that issue be better than an
> online discussion?

cfg80211/nl80211 - overview, get Johannes to disseminate knowledge
because email isn't optimal for this.  I haven't had enough time to jump
into it yet, but the fact that Johannes is the vast majority of the
effort here is worrisome.  Having a reference implementation (airo,
atmel, maybe libertas) of a fullmac driver ported to cfg80211 would
probably be very useful, even just to get a sense of how the API works.

rfkill - how to clean up the mess, including how it's all supposed to
work from userspace with kernel bits, ACPI bits, vendor modules like
asus_acpi and dellWirelessCtl, input-only buttons, etc

WiMAX - what hardware is coming, what the APIs should look like (OMA-DM
is likely to be part of Sprint's stack for XOHM), what the driver
situation is, and how to fend off a repeat of the 802.11 regulatory
situation for WiMAX (most parts are apparently fullmac right now, but
softmac will surely come).

802.11s - nail down issues that Javier/Luis/others might have and try to
push the 802.11s mesh stack forward (driver issues, API issues, etc)

802.11n - do we need any discussion here or is it just a question of
executing on the current plan?

Userspace MLME - what's going on here?  Noise around this seems to be
quieter these days.  Is stuff going according to plan/schedule or are
there roadblocks?

lib80211/fullmac - maybe this just needs to be picked up and done by
somebody and doesn't need any discussion or whatever

Dan

-