Search Linux Wireless

Re: Using compat-drivers conflicts with kernel mac80211 and cfg80211

On Sat, May 11, 2013 at 5:46 PM, Adrian Chadd <adrian@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> No, you or the vendor should forward port it to linux-next, then you
> can just pick up the whole driver/framework set from compat-wireless.

For my needs, I can use the entire set of wireless drivers from
compat-drivers, plus the vt6656 and rtl8712 drivers.

If I were to undertake the task of porting the vt6656/rtl8712 vendor
tarballs to linux-next, so that I could integrate them into
compat-drivers and then build everything compatibly, I wonder if it
would be worth trying to improve what's in staging?

Ideally, I'd need to do some big three-way merge: the current contents
of staging, the original code drop that went into staging, and the
current versions of vendor tarballs.  Would such a thing be practical?
 It would be quite a project, and I would be hoping the results of it
would be accepted into staging.  It might help others, as well.  Since
compat-drivers only pulls from the regular kernel driver directory and
not from staging, it wouldn't help get them into compat-drivers,
though.

Josh Lehan