Search Linux Wireless

Re: Using compat-drivers conflicts with kernel mac80211 and cfg80211

On 05/11/2013 02:52 AM, JoSH Lehan wrote:
It seems I can choose to use the mac80211/cfg80211 that came with the
kernel,*or*, the mac80211/cfg80211 that come with compat-drivers.  Is
this correct?  I'll have to maintain these two mac80211/cfg80211
drivers in separate directories, since they have the same name, and it
will complicate my detection/loading script, but if there's no other
way, then this is what needs to be done.

Luis may correct me, but I think you are correct. compat-drivers provides a compat.ko which is the glue between new drivers and your kernel. With the new drivers you get new features provided you have new mac80211/cfg80211 as well. Hence the glue is between wireless modules (including mac80211/cfg80211) and rest of your kernel. On a non-embedded system the compat-driver modules are installed in a separate folder /lib/modules/<your_kernel_version/updates. depmod is run during the install in which this folder takes precedence.

Not sure what your use-case is. You have a system in which different wireless devices may be plugged in or ...?

Could it be because I cross-compile compat-drivers?  Looking at the
installation scripts, it's clearly intended to be ran by the end user
to replace the drivers in their distribution with updated drivers, and
it could be that I missed something when tweaking it to cross-compile
the drivers and not install them locally.

Probably not, provided you build it for your kernel version.

Has anybody else tried to use compat-drivers to build for an embedded
system?  If so, what's the recommended solution?  How to solve the
mac80211/cfg80211 problem, where the kernel-compiled mac80211/cfg80211
modules conflict with their equivalent compat-drivers modules?

Depends what you call an embedded system. We used it to run our driver on Android. Just cross-compiling it and install it on the system is what we did. Recently, there have been a number of people walking that path and contacting us. It may be an idea to have a compat-drivers feature to generate Android tarballs as it is always running a few kernel versions behind mainline.

Regards,
Arend