Search Linux Wireless

Re: [RFC/RFT] mwl8k: don't expose non-standard rates

On 2013-04-13 8:59 PM, Adrian Chadd wrote:
> On 13 April 2013 09:18, Johannes Berg <johannes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>>> Are these "turbo" mode rates? ie, 40MHz wide channels with pre-11n
>>> rates on them?
>>
>> 22 actually *is* a standard rate, it's just that almost nobody
>> implements it.
>
> Well, is it the 20mhz rate or a 40mhz turbo rate?
>
>> The original problem seems a bit strange though, seems those should just
>> not be marked basic?
>
> Again, if its a custom rate for 11a/11g 40MHz static turbo style
> configurations, it should only be exposed when the AP is running in
> that particular mode.
>
> And yes, if the hardware does support it, then it should really only
> not be configured for basic rates. That way mwl8k<->mwl8k hardware can
> take advantage of it when those stations are talking to each other.
>
> (Yeah, I come from a world where FreeBSD users still want to run
> Turbo/Static-40MHz operation with things like fast frames and turbo
> rates.. damned legacy hardware. :-)
I really don't think this is a 40 MHz thing, the driver does not seem to
have any concept of a non-standard legacy 40 MHz mode. I think they
simply added different modulation for the 72 MBit/s rate.
Keeping this rate doesn't even make sense for mwl8k<->mwl8k, as it's a
non-standard legacy rate, whereas the device can do much better with
plain 802.11n :)

- Felix