Search Linux Wireless

GSoC 2013 - b43 driver

Hey guys,

let me first introduce myself. I'm Patrick Steinhardt, student of
information technology at the Free University of Berlin, Germany,
in the 6th term of the bachelor degree course. As a side job I am
employed by the IVU Traffic Technologies AG since two and a half
years, developing enterprise software in C, C++ and Java.

I am interested in applying for the Google Summer of Code at the
Linux Foundation. I've always been interested in getting in touch
with low level programming and the Linux kernel but because of
the seeminlgy high hurdle of getting into it I never dared to
start. That's why I see a great chance for me to get into kernel
programming through the GSoC program, encouraging me to dive into
the unknown and getting help wherever I need it.

My point of interest with the wireless code is especially the b43
driver. I own a relatively old Macbook with a Broadcom 14e4:432b
wireless card. To be honest, it doesn't really work well with the
b43 driver. But as I do not want to rely on the proprietary wl
driver indefinitly I'd like to improve b43 to fully handle my
card.

My current relevant skillset unfortunately only includes
experience with C, various relating tools (gdb, valgrind,
perf) and some x86 assembler. But I've got no exprience with
wireless technology (even though I'm currently visiting a lecture
which covers low level wireless technologies like wireless LAN)
or hardware near programming.

Do you think it is possible to get into the topic fast and deep
enough to accomplish my goals? Are there any other thoughts or
culprits I should take into account?

Regards,
Patrick