Search Linux Wireless

Re: Any suggestions for laptops with ath9k NIC?

Hi,

On Thu, 28 Mar 2013 10:59:29 -0700
Ben Greear <greearb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Someone stole my previous laptop I was using for ath9k testing...
>

> Any suggestions for a new mid-range laptop that comes standard with
> ath9k NICs, or is known to work with ath9k NICs w/out having to
> hack the NIC eeprom or laptop BIOS?
>
> I'd prefer a 3x3, but not sure they exist, so a 2x2 a/b/g/n would be
> OK as well..

In the free software community ath9k are quite common, because many
other cards require non-free firmware and so are not supported by 100%
free software GNU/Linux distributions.

http://h-node.org/ is a website that reference laptops that work with
100% free software distributions.

So there are a high number of laptops that have ath9k in that list,
however the number of users is quite low.

There is also the website https://www.thinkpenguin.com/ which sells
laptops(and wifi cards).

Since many electronic devices are changed without changing the product
name, double check the hardware before buying...

Denis.