Search Linux Wireless

Re: Warnings with ASUS PCE-N15 (RTL8188CE)

On 03/25/2013 02:51 PM, Vincent Brillault wrote:
Thanks for your quick response, comments inline.

On Mon 25.Mar'13 at 14:11:27 -0500, Larry Finger wrote:
I think the difference in our two systems is in the use of NetworkManager and
the associated applet. With it, rtl_op_bss_info_changed() does not seem to be
called before sta is ready.

Attached is a patch that will force mac->mode when sta has not been established.
Perhaps that will be enough.
I does work. I don't have any warning when loading the module and
establishing the connection. What will happen if the network is not
really a WIRELESS_MODE_G but a WIRELESS_MODE_B ?

It should not matter, but I will make it B instead of G. Once the connection is established, then the handshaking with the AP will set sta and the mode to whatever the AP supports.

It not, I will need to set up your distro and run the wireless exactly the way
you do to duplicate your results. Please provide the distro name and version,
the architecture, the sequence of commands, and the contents of any special
scripts you run.
If you want to duplicate my system, here are those information:
Architecture: i686
Current Kernel: manually installed wireless-testing 3.9.0-rc3+ with your
patches

I've attached my kernel .config, a emerge --info (contains
information about my system configuration). It's a stable gentoo system,
with the following unstables packages:
'''
=sys-kernel/linux-firmware-99999999 **
=net-wireless/wpa_supplicant-2.0 ~x86
=dev-libs/libnl-3.2.21 ~x86
'''

wpa_supplicant is using the following USE flags:
'''
net-wireless/wpa_supplicant -ssl fasteap wps ap wimax p2p eap-sim
'''

I did not modified the standard init scripts from Gentoo, my
configuration of the interface (/etc/conf.d/net) is:
'''
config_wlan0="dhcp"
wpa_supplicant_wlan0="-f /var/log/wpa_supplicant.log -W nl80211 -t"
'''

The uncommented part of my wpa_supplicant configuration file only
contains the following:
'''
ctrl_interface=/var/run/wpa_supplicant
eapol_version=1
ap_scan=1
fast_reauth=1
country=FR
network={
   ssid="${myssid}"
   scan_ssid=1
   proto=WPA RSN
   key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
   pairwise=CCMP
   group=TKIP
   psk=${mypsk}
}
'''

In order to have the errors I mention, I run the following:
(inside a compat-drivers pull, just for unloading the module)
'''
/etc/init.d/net.wlan0 stop && make wlunload; dmesg -c > /dev/null;
modprobe rtl8192ce; /etc/init.d/net.wlan0 start;
'''

I know this is not a standard distribution and that's why, if you have
any idea of things I can do to help you, please tell me.

I will let you change that G to a B and test some more. If all goes well, then I will not need to set up that test bed, but at least I have the necessary details if ever required.

Larry