Search Linux Wireless

Re: [RFC] P2P find offload

On Wed, 2013-02-27 at 14:24 +0200, Vladimir Kondratiev wrote:

> Enable p2p find phase offload to the driver.
> Add methods for the struct cfg80211_ops, like
>
> 	int	(*start_p2p_find)(struct wiphy *wiphy,
> 				  struct cfg80211_p2p_find_params *params);
> 	void	(*stop_p2p_find)(struct wiphy *wiphy);
>
> where struct cfg80211_p2p_find_params includes info elements
> to be added for probe request and probe response frames;
> social channels etc.

We had something like this before. I think you need to specify not the
wiphy but a netdev though, to know what MAC address to use. In fact, not
a netdev but a wdev, so it can work on P2P_Device type wdevs.

Also, timings? Or is that left to the driver?

> wpa_supplicant will call these methods through nl80211.
>
> Driver responsible for toggling between search and listen states,
> reporting probe request/response frames to the user space.
>
> Driver/firmware may answer to the probe request frames on itself,
> in this case probe requests are still reported.

wpa_s will need to know whether or not it responded, unless you mandate
that it must respond by itself -- not sure if you should do that though?

?

> For the 2.4GHz band devices, PCP resolution is not used and pcp_resolution
> attribute set to 'undefined'

No ... you'd just leave out the attribute instead of having a special
undefined value.

johannes