Search Linux Wireless

Re: [RFC] mac80211: make CONFIG_MAC80211_MESH=y default

Hi Johannes,

On Tue, Feb 19, 2013 at 1:19 AM, Johannes Berg
<johannes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Sat, 2013-02-16 at 11:22 -0800, Thomas Pedersen wrote:
>> Increases mac80211 memory use by about 95K.
>>
>> At least Ubuntu, Debian, and Arch Linux already enable
>> this in their default kernels.
>
> *shrug*
>
> I guess I don't really see a problem with this, although only a small
> subset of drivers really supports it. Anyone really wanting to build for
> a small system will probably turn it off anyway.
>
> OTOH, if distros enable it, I also don't see much point in changing
> it ;-)
>
> What might be interesting is for drivers to somehow indicate they
> support it? But you wouldn't necessarily want drivers to "select MESH",
> so it'd probably have to be something like not allowing mesh to be
> turned on if no driver is turned on that has it? But that makes it
> complicated again, so it's all probably not worth it.

IIRC, the standard way to do things like that is something like:

config HAVE_MESH_DRIVER
    default n

config RANDOM_DRIVER
    select HAVE_MESH_DRIVER

config MESH
    default y if HAVE_MESH_DRIVER

That way it's default on if drivers are selected which have mesh
support but still user selectable (either to disable or if out-of-tree
drivers want it).

Thanks,

--
Julian Calaby