Search Linux Wireless

Re: VT6656 driver source available from VIA

On Jan 7, 2008 1:49 PM, Forest Bond <forest@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Wed, Nov 14, 2007 at 12:06:34PM -0500, John W. Linville wrote:

> >> I also added these.  Perhaps having plenty of content/links regarding this
> >> issue will help to increase visibility:
> >>
> >> http://www.alittletooquiet.net/text/a-license-for-the-via-vt6656-linux-driver/
> >> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux-source-2.6.22/+bug/162671
> >
> > Excellent...I appreciate your efforts as an agitator! :-)
>
> At this point I am not anticipating positive results WRT this endeavor, and am
> unable to pursue further assistance from VIA.  Further, I've seen that the
> driver in question likely exhibits some interesting quirks that makes it
> difficult to use.  It is also bit-rotting out of relevance.

This is unfortunate to hear...

> Can the driver be used as a reference for a fresh implementation?  I've not
> written a driver before, but would be open to the possibility.

IANAL but I believe It basically depends on the license the vendor
issued the driver under and its sources under. If no license was used
then I believe the standard copyright license terms should be assumed.
What license was used throughout the driver files?

> What are the legal ramifications of a driver author having access to
> proprietary source code?

Again, I believe it depends on the license/NDA/terms under which the
driver author obtained access to such proprietary source code. The
more details you provide the better.

  Luis
-