Search Linux Wireless

Re: VT6656 driver source available from VIA

Hi John,

On Thu, Nov 01, 2007 at 02:59:00PM -0400, John W. Linville wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 19, 2007 at 03:37:43PM -0400, Forest Bond wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > A few months ago, VIA quietly released the source for their VT6656 USB WiFi
> > chip.  The original VIA archive can be downloaded here:
> >
> > http://www.viaarena.com/Driver/vt6656-linux-x86-src-v113.rar
>
> Forest,
>
> Any luck getting license clarification from VIA?

Sorry for the silence.

I think I might have mentioned before that the company I work for has an
established relationship with VIA which in most circumstances can be helpful for
handling situations like this one.  Unfortunately, I've not been able to bring
it up as a business-related item due to some unfortunate circumstances that I'm
not permitted to elaborate upon here.

I did send a few e-mails (one to the driver developer, and one to a personal
contact at VIA), but neither has yielded anything useful.  I think the only
remaining effective option is to bring it up on viaarena.com.  Consumer angst
runs thick in those parts, and VIA has occasionally been known to respond
semi-positively.  In this case, that just might be enough, since their
intentions were clearly to open-source the driver, despite their apparent
inability to document this properly.

Does that seem like a good path to you?

Thanks,
Forest