Search Linux Wireless

Re: Queries about acx-mac80211 master mode support on the AR7 platform

On Tue, 18 Dec 2007, Mark Williamson wrote:

Hi,
Hi Mark,

Hence to address this, initial work was taken for the acx driver to
utilise the mac80211 stack and a new acx driver called acx-mac80211 was
written (http://acx100.sourceforge.net/wiki/Acx-mac80211).  IMHO this
still very much WIP and is nowhere near as stable as the original acx
driver. But, perhaps the largest sticking point is that the acx-mac80211
driver, unlike acx, does not support AP (master) mode. I have struggled
to find out whether this is an issue in the acx-mac80211 driver
component or in fact the mac80211 does not support master mode at this
moment in time. Can anyone shed some light on this and help clear up my
ongoing confusion?

I'm the guy who started the acx-softmac to acx-mac80211 conversion, and my intention was to provide ap support for the card, but I've had other projects come up demanding my attention. So I apologize for its WIP state.

I'll have to defer to those working on nl80211/lib80211 and hostapd to answer whether mac80211 actually supports AP mode, I recall a comment about b43/legacy being the only driver to actively support Master?

Anyway, I spoke with a guy who was interested in continuing work on the acx-mac80211 a couple of months back, he seemed eager but I've not heard anything from him since.

I'm sorry I couldn't help you more,
Jeff
-