Search Linux Wireless

Queries about acx-mac80211 master mode support on the AR7 platform

Hi,

I’m currently following the Openwrt project (http://openwrt.org/) with specific interest to the AR7 port. The hardworking developers on this project have really brought support for this along: the unit works, the ADSL component works, but the wireless support is still WIP. Until recently the acx drivers (http://acx100.sourceforge.net/) were used to drive the card on the unit; a specific pci-to-vlynq bridge had been written to enable this to work on the AR7 platform. This worked well, but there was no WPA support available; WEP was the only encryption available with this driver.

Hence to address this, initial work was taken for the acx driver to utilise the mac80211 stack and a new acx driver called acx-mac80211 was written (http://acx100.sourceforge.net/wiki/Acx-mac80211). IMHO this still very much WIP and is nowhere near as stable as the original acx driver. But, perhaps the largest sticking point is that the acx-mac80211 driver, unlike acx, does not support AP (master) mode. I have struggled to find out whether this is an issue in the acx-mac80211 driver component or in fact the mac80211 does not support master mode at this moment in time. Can anyone shed some light on this and help clear up my ongoing confusion?

Regards,

Mark Williamson
-