Search Linux Wireless

Re: BCM4306 Questions

Quoting Randy Cushman <rcushman_linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

However considering how I process information, along with additional
factors, the process caused difficulty for me:
1) The bcm43xx-fwcutter man page and its -l option contradict the web
page, indicating that firmware can be extracted from recent versions of
bcmwl5.sys (include many versions 4.x) for use with bcm43xx.

OK, this part could probably be "deemphasized" or preceded with the comment that the latest firmware in not necessarily the best, at least for the purpose of the reverse engineered driver.

In the same time, support for extracting the firmware from the new drivers could be added, just to provide such option for whatever reasons.

2) Personal experience:  The driver Windows XP found for this HP
adapter was unstable.  This led me to treat as suspect any driver not
obtained from HP.

The firmware in "soft-MAC" devices has little effect on stability. It's the driver that does most of the work and communicates with the OS. The driver is not being extracted, only the firmware.

3) I had no way of knowing that firmware from any random driver would
work with my adapter.
4) I preferred using a driver/firmware from a trusted website over one
from an unknown website.

OK, that's just healthy skepticism :)

Thanks for your detailed answers. It may help create a better experience for the future users.

--
Regards,
Pavel Roskin