Search Linux Wireless

Re: BCM4306 Questions

Pavel Roskin wrote:
Hello!

Thank you for being patient with me.

When I read that web page for the fourth time, I finally realized that what I needed to do was forget about using the correct driver for my adapter, and instead download an ancient driver for an unidentified adapter from a website of unknown authenticity, and use the firmware from that driver instead. Should have been obvious, I guess.

I have looked at that page, and I don't see anything confusing there.  I
wish I could improve it, but I don't see how.

The firmware checksum is verified, so either you are getting the right
firmware, or you are not getting any.

There is no talk of choosing "the correct driver".  Instead, the page
suggests downloading both firmwares rather than guessing:

Considered by itself the web page makes sense.

However considering how I process information, along with additional factors, the process caused difficulty for me: 1) The bcm43xx-fwcutter man page and its -l option contradict the web page, indicating that firmware can be extracted from recent versions of bcmwl5.sys (include many versions 4.x) for use with bcm43xx. 2) Personal experience: The driver Windows XP found for this HP adapter was unstable. This led me to treat as suspect any driver not obtained from HP. 3) I had no way of knowing that firmware from any random driver would work with my adapter. 4) I preferred using a driver/firmware from a trusted website over one from an unknown website.

The above information led me to believe that I already had an appropriate driver, so when reading the web page I repeatedly skipped over the section discussing driver downloads.

I don't think any changes to the web page are needed. At the first sign of trouble I should have read the instructions more carefully and considered the possibility that there was a reason I was being instructed to download a particular driver.

-