Search Linux Wireless

Re: coding style lesson: iwlwifi vs. endianness

> I know it is tempting to teach BIG Intel

Hmm, Intel is not the enemy or foe. It's actually quite liked,
because Intel is playing in many ways quite open and helpful
towards the OSS community. Having experienced openly
downloadable manuals for PXA processors from Intel and now the
barricaded website from Marvell, after they took over
PXA255/PXA270 ...

But back to the topic:

A driver that I happen to know quite well now is the
(non-mac80211) libertas in drivers/net/wireless/libertas/. And
this driver happens to use le16_to_cpu() and cpu_to_le16() all
over the place. Both in it's library part and in it's hardware
interface module (if_usb.c, if_cf.c, if_sdio.c).

That makes it easy to keep the thing "sparse"-clean. I wrote the
compact-flash code on x86. And others used that later on ARM and
MIPS (I'm going to use it on PXA as well). They didn't have a
endianness problem so far.

So, using that programming idiom paid well back.
-