Search Linux Wireless

Re: iwl4965 detection problem

On Fri, Oct 26, 2007 at 10:05:58AM +0200, Jes Sorensen wrote:
> Dan Williams wrote:
> >I've had this same problem with one machine and there were problems with
> >those two files.  I fixed it on that machine (and was fixed on a few
> >others using this procedure) by removing those two files and rebooting.
> >
> >The symptom is that the driver loads and recognizes the card, but no
> >wireless devices show up to userspace (via iwconfig, ifconfig, or
> >in /sys/class/net) because device renames by udev and/or init scripts
> >stomped over them (like trying to rename wmaster0 -> eth1 and then
> >renaming wlan0 -> eth1 but failing because it was already taken).
> >
> >Try killing those two files, making sure you're up to date, then
> >restarting.

> I tried that, but no go :-( Even before the card was detected by Fedora,
> when I manually loaded the iwl4965 module, nothing showed up in
> ifconfig -a, I had to unload/reload for anything to happen.

I've been seeing this behaviour _sometimes_ as well.  (/me hates _sometimes_)

Fresh off the presses, an F8-based build w/ the latest round of
iwl4965 updates from Zhu Yi and friends:

I haven't had a chance to test it yet myself (built it overnight),
so YMMV.  Still, there is a lot of iwl4965 churn in there so it is
probably worth some testing.  (Newer than wireless-2.6!)

For any non-iwl4965 F8 users it may still be worthwhiles to give
those kernels a spin -- the stuff in the current F8 kernels is a
little old now.(*)

Let me know...

John

(*) I had to stop shoving stuff into F8 a couple of weeks back after
a big wireless update broke a bunch of people's wireless while F8
was trying to freeze... :-(
--
John W. Linville
linville@xxxxxxxxxxxxx