Search Linux Wireless

Re: Kernelspace --> Userspace MLME move and related items

On Tue, 2007-10-02 at 19:50 -0700, Jouni Malinen wrote:

> The current implementation is more or less complete for all the required
> functionality. I just updated it for the latest draft (D8.0) that was
> released last week. This includes code for adding new IEs to
> authentication and association frames and also sending/receiving of
> action frames.

Good to know. The latter are passed with SIOCSIWGENIE I assume.

> wpa_supplicant has implementation for negotiating the keys and
> configuring them to the driver. It does not implement
> encryption/decryption of the management frames, though, and I do not
> have plans on doing that in user space either.

Right, that makes sense.

> 802.11w actually uses the
> same PTK than data frames for unicast management frames, so the kernel
> side (or firmware/hardware) CCMP should be used for this.

Yeah we'll probably need a new hw flag for this since I expect there to
be some hardware that will not like hw-crypto for management frames.
OTOH, it could probably better be a key flag or something, not sure
about the details right now. But it should be trivial to solve.

> As far as
> broadcast/multicast management frames are concerned, they will need a
> new encryption (or well, actually it is not encryption, just integrity
> protection) algorithm in the kernel. The key (IGTK) comes from user
> space in the same way as GTK for data frames.

Right, so we need a new cipher added to nl80211's checking code and make
mac80211 handle that new cipher. It needs to be implemented too, but
right now I definitely won't have time for that and the 802.11w draft I
have may well be outdated too.

In any case, it doesn't look like a hard problem to solve once we have
the algorithm spec.

johannes