Search Linux Wireless

Re: Kernelspace --> Userspace MLME move and related items

On Sat, 2007-09-29 at 12:17 -0400, John W. Linville wrote:

> Can you elaborate some on why you think umlme is required for these
> (or other) functions?  It isn't obvious to me that all of these MLME
> functions are so complex as to require userland implementations.

> >  * 802.11r (fast roaming)

Already has a (partial?) implementation in wpa_supplicant.

> >  * 802.11s (mesh networking) (not entirely sure what management stuff
> >    this includes)

Not sure really.

> >  * 802.11w (encrypted management)

All the key handling is in wpa_supplicant so we will not be able to
support it in the kernel w/o wpa_supplicant and I don't see a good way
to do it in the kernel either (not too familiar with the spec though),
and wpa_supplicant already has a (partial?) implementation.

> >  * DLS features of 802.11e

We've had this in the kernel and I'm not generally against it but it's
somewhat strange to have something in the kernel and not be able to use
it. We will of course need some support in the kernel for actually
sending and receiving direct-link data frames.

johannes