Search Linux Wireless

Re: radiotap injection bugs & extending it

On Sat, 2007-09-01 at 10:00 +0100, Andy Green wrote:

> Yes it's wrong, hdr is also dereferenced once more while the radiotap
> header is still in place.  I made a little patch I will send in a
> moment, if you already did it then ignore the patch.

No, sent the mail just before going to sleep :) I'll review your patch
and adopt it. Guess I get to rebase my ~70ish patches to after it
then ;)

> > Also, after doing more work on mac80211 I now again have hostapd running
> > via monitor interfaces. However, there's a bit of a problem there.
>
> You are definitely on fire at the moment Johannes.

Heh, yeah, got a bit of time on my hands right now.

> > Of these, check_assoc should be skipped unconditionally for injected
> > packets. sequence should be done, ps_buf I'm not sure about though I
> > suppose that if the STA really goes into powersave very quickly then
> > hostapd would need ps_buf.
> >
> > Then we have select_key (and mic adding/encrypt depends on it) which
> > should IMHO depend on IEEE80211_RADIOTAP_F_WEP; fragment could depend on
> > IEEE80211_RADIOTAP_F_FRAG. rate_ctrl should depend on the presence of
> > the IEEE80211_RADIOTAP_RATE field, if it was present then rate_ctrl is
> > skipped. This addresses this TODO item:
> >            * TODO: auto-select when the rate field is not present!
> >
> > misc does a few things:
> > retry should be taken from IEEE80211_RADIOTAP_DATA_RETRIES if present or
> > otherwise automatically assigned, cts/rts should be taken from the
> > radiotap TX flags IEEE80211_RADIOTAP_F_TX_CTS and
> > IEEE80211_RADIOTAP_F_TX_RTS or automatically determined.
>
> Sounds great to me.  I guess you are up for doing this?

Yeah, I can do that. Not sure about PS mode though. I suppose your use
case won't suffer if I simply do it unconditionally since you're always
sending multicast frames anyhow.

> > This is basically it, except for short preamble setting. That is a bit
> > of a problem, however, because it's not a tristate in radiotap and we
> > want a tristate (long/short/automatic). Ideas on this item?
>
> No idea about it here.

I could propose adding a new radiotap TX flag, I suppose...

johannes