Search Linux Wireless

radiotap injection bugs & extending it

[John, Andy, sorry for the dupe, accidentally addressed to John instead
of the list. please reply here]

Hey,

Just noticed this:
__ieee80211_tx_prepare:

struct ieee80211_hdr *hdr = (struct ieee80211_hdr *) skb->data;
[...]
tx->sta = sta_info_get(local, hdr->addr1);
[...]
__ieee80211_parse_tx_radiotap(..)

which seems a bit weird. Shouldn't we grab the sta only after removing
the radiotap stuff? :)

Also, after doing more work on mac80211 I now again have hostapd running
via monitor interfaces. However, there's a bit of a problem there.

After a few changes to mac80211, I have these TX handlers:
        ieee80211_tx_h_check_assoc,
        ieee80211_tx_h_sequence,
        ieee80211_tx_h_ps_buf,
        ieee80211_tx_h_select_key,
        ieee80211_tx_h_michael_mic_add,
        ieee80211_tx_h_fragment,
        ieee80211_tx_h_encrypt,
        ieee80211_tx_h_rate_ctrl,
        ieee80211_tx_h_misc,
        ieee80211_tx_h_load_stats,

Of these, check_assoc should be skipped unconditionally for injected
packets. sequence should be done, ps_buf I'm not sure about though I
suppose that if the STA really goes into powersave very quickly then
hostapd would need ps_buf.

Then we have select_key (and mic adding/encrypt depends on it) which
should IMHO depend on IEEE80211_RADIOTAP_F_WEP; fragment could depend on
IEEE80211_RADIOTAP_F_FRAG. rate_ctrl should depend on the presence of
the IEEE80211_RADIOTAP_RATE field, if it was present then rate_ctrl is
skipped. This addresses this TODO item:
           * TODO: auto-select when the rate field is not present!

misc does a few things:
retry should be taken from IEEE80211_RADIOTAP_DATA_RETRIES if present or
otherwise automatically assigned, cts/rts should be taken from the
radiotap TX flags IEEE80211_RADIOTAP_F_TX_CTS and
IEEE80211_RADIOTAP_F_TX_RTS or automatically determined.

This is basically it, except for short preamble setting. That is a bit
of a problem, however, because it's not a tristate in radiotap and we
want a tristate (long/short/automatic). Ideas on this item?

Comments on the whole thing? I think we shouldn't be skipping TX
handlers unconditionally.

johannes