Search Linux Wireless

Re: b43legacy woes

David Ellingsworth wrote:
I've been using the b43legacy driver since it was first posted to this list.
> The driver has been relatively stable, but my wireless connection has not.
> In an environment with approximately 26 wireless access points, I experience
> frequent disconnects and reconnects with the rate stuck at 1Mb/s. The ranges
> for signal and noise reported under these conditions were (-53db, -59db) and
> (-93db, -89db) respectively, with an average difference between the two around 20db.
> The Windows driver under these conditions quickly scaled to 54Mb/s and maintained a
> connection. In an environment with a single AP, the b43legacy driver performs very
> similar to the results above where the rate is limited at 1Mb/s and the Windows driver
> scales significantly higher.

The poor performance of the BCM4306/2 (your chip/card) is known. There has been a report that this is a regression since 2.6.20, or so, has not been confirmed. With a 2.6.21 kernel, I got an iperf transmit rate of 4 Mbs, but that quickly dropped to 0.3 Mbs without me changing anything - I just repeated the iperf command. I will be doing a bisection on bcm43xx to see if I can indeed find a regression.

As for the loss of connection in an environment with lots of AP's, I cannot duplicate that environment. Has anyone else seen this with b43, or with some other mac80211 driver. Perhaps we can localize the problem component. Is there a possibility of buffer overflow in the scan results with that many AP's?

Larry

-