Search Linux Wireless

Re: Rate control over multiple devices

On Wed, 01 Aug 2007 13:54:15 +0200, Johannes Berg wrote:
> I suppose you mean this patch
> http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.kernel.wireless.general/2303

Yes. But I'd like to see a solution to the problem reported by Andy in
the patch. One of the possible solutions could be adding a "this is a
special rate control alg which shouldn't be selected automatically"
flag to rate control algs and not selecting such algorithms in
ieee80211_try_rate_control_ops_get when 'name' is NULL. Should be easy
to implement.

> > > Of course, in a perfect world we'd have a 'default' rate control setting
> > > somewhere and apply that for drivers that have rate_control==NULL, while
> > > default would default to 'simple' to avoid the issue above.

That's a possible solution too, though not an ideal one. Currently, you
can use module alias to change default rate control algorithm - at
least for simple setups. This would break it.

> > I'd really like to see that in the patch. Seems to be a real issue.
>
> Except that we have no API for that (should be in cfg80211.)

We will need an API for changing of rate control alg from the user
space, sure - but that's not an issue here, this patch is purely
mac80211 thing.

Thanks,

 Jiri

--