Search Linux Wireless

Re: [WIP] mac80211: kill mgmt interface

On Sun, 2007-06-24 at 09:51 +0100, Andy Green wrote:

> The thing that it buys is allowing injection in a standardized format on
> interfaces in any mode.  Currently the fact that a TX packet comes on a
> Monitor Mode interface is used to infer the format of it, that it will
> have a radiotap header.  That's not too ugly, but allowing
> injection/radiotap format packets to be accepted on any interface in any
> mode (eg, Master) and to use an ethhdr to determine the structure of the
> packet is a bit more general and clean, since that is the job of the
> ethhdr everywhere.

The real question IMHO is if we actually want that. And I don't think
we'll find an easy solution for say the qdisc dropping the packet before
we see it.

> It'll be interesting to see what the genuine primitives are for the MLME
> after you are finished ejecting the ioctl type cruft.  I don't have much
> idea of what is truly needed as it stands.

I think I'm pretty much done killing all the currently unused ioctls.
Jouni's mail contained a short overview that seemed fairly complete
though lacking details.

johannes