Search Linux Wireless

Re: [WIP] mac80211: kill mgmt interface

On Fri, 2007-06-22 at 15:29 +0100, Andy Green wrote:

> > I have a new idea. Maybe it will turn out to have fatal design or
> > implementation problems, but anyway.

> But for any nontrivial use, you need to capture RX and not blindly
> inject, and so you have a monitor mode interface up anyway.  The
> footprint in the political networking space is less if it just goes in
> as a monitor mode TX action.

In addition, we still have the problem with receiving encrypted eapol
frames etc. that we really need to see unencrypted but can't make it to
the network interface.

I'm still for using netlink. It's just a socket too after all, and
what's the conceptual difference between packing network packets into
other packets or packing them into netlink messages? I don't see why
people are so dead set against using nl80211 for the userspace MLME
needs including frame stuff.

johannes