Search Linux Wireless

RE: phy mode, channel -> freq mapping (was RE: more nl80211/iw tool code comments)

The so called "turbo" mode extensions provided by various vendors
roughly fall into 3 categories

1. MAC extensions such as frame bursting, aggregation, using more
aggressive transmit parameters etc
2. PHY extensions such as using proprietary modulation/coding, MIMO etc
3. RF extensions such as using larger channel width, also sometimes
called channel bonding

All of these have been adequately addressed by 802.11e, WMM and 802.11n
and there exist modes which allow these to be done in a standard
compliant and interoperable manner. In my opinion, the linux wireless
stack would do well to stay away from the proprietary extensions and
thus minimize confusion.

At most, we could allow an API for enable/disable turbo mode which would
allow the specific driver/firmware to do whatever magic it wants under
the hood without polluting the rest of the stack.

Thanks,
Sandesh