Search Linux Wireless

Re: [RFC] {cfg,nl}80211 API

Hi,

just for fun, I created a graph of wext->nl80211 mappings:
http://git.spaceboyz.net/?p=nl80211/nl80211-meta.git;a=blob_plain;f=nl80211-map.png;hb=865687f294a84d7847ed7a05aa63de5cbb1a0c89
- wext stuff marked red means I have no idea what that ioctl does
- lines marked blue mean I'm not sure whether that's correct
- nl80211 cmds in lowercase and light green aren't outlined yet

So, what's left?
> - more PHY config stuff?
>   - TX power? Should be able to configure a lower value...
>   - antenna selection?
      - antenna diversity, as noted by Holger Schurig
- the entire regulatory stuff

For this, my first idea (included in that graph) would be to have a
GET_REGULATORY_CAPS command which returns whether the device has a fixed
list of regdomains or whether it can load anything. Depending on that,
either SELECT_REGDOMAIN or SET_CHANLIST can be used. For the chanlist,
there would be additional attributes specifying stuff like max power,
active scanning, etc.

Other new:
- {get,set}{mac,radio} for tx power (within regulatory limits), retry
  stuff, antennas?, etc.

What I totally missed is that there also is no rate configuration command
yet (!). Do we want that in SET_CHANNEL? (and rename it to SET_PHY?)

-David

-