Search Linux Wireless

Re: OpenBSD bcw: Possible GPL license violation issues

> >  * removed their attribution
>
> The attribution was never to be added, because a couple of functions
> were copied in temporarily to help development of other functions, and
> then they were accidentally commited.

To be honest it is completely beyond me how somebody manages
to read code, considers it usefull (and thus has read the code in such a way
that he was searching for something usefull), copy'n'paste the code and commits
the code to cvs. And at the end of the day claims that it is an accident.

> It was an accident for him to commit it.  But it was no accident you
> decided to make a public fuss about it.  Now you have your public
> fuss.

Everybody can make his own choice on the manner in which the violation is being
reported. Yes, Michael could have send a private mail, but he could also have made
the violation even more public by adding some mail address that would have started
an even bigger flamewar.
But note that 75% of the people following this thread would not have taken too much
interest into this violation when you did not jump into the trenches and starting to insult
people in order to make a big fuzz about it

You have your reasons for wanting a discussion about the GPL violation private, Michael
had his reasons for making more people aware of the situation. Just because somebody
does not share the same opinion as you don't make him "inhumane", "harming cooperation
between open source projects". Neither is it true that somebody is
"Not being supportive to the open source community" when he cannot fulfill your request/demand.

I wonder what upsets you most, the fact that openBSD is not perfect in terms of that the code
contains a GPL violation or that you were forced into a public debate about this while you prefer
to flame and insult people privately.

Ivo
-