Search Linux Wireless

Re: OpenBSD bcw: Possible GPL license violation issues

> > Cooperation is not built on that.  Maybe you specifically don't care
> > about cooperation, but I am sure there are others who do.  So perhaps
> > watch your words.
>
> How you can *possibly* expect cooperation from a group of people who
>  * just discovered that somebody has taken large parts of their code

Well, you start to expect that mistakes happen, and you privately contact
them.

>  * removed their attribution

The attribution was never to be added, because a couple of functions
were copied in temporarily to help development of other functions, and
then they were accidentally commited.

This was a mistake, but no private mail about it happened.

>  * relicensed them under a much more permissive license

They were accidentally copied, and then a public mail was made to a bunch
of large mailing lists.

>  * /then/ claims that it was "an honest mistake"

If the claims aren't believed, then you are right there can be no
cooperation, can there.  But someone has to believe claims.   If I
don't believe your claims that you aren't a rabbit, it doesn't make
you a rabbit.  Someone has to try to accept claims of fair development.

If you don't believe us, how about this claim:  OpenSSH on Linux has
no major holes.  Go ahead, keep using it.  The fact is, you have to
accept that some claims are done on fair grounds.  If you don't, then
no, you are right -- no cooperation is possible.

>  * also claims that the license (GPL in this case) isn't relevant
>    because the code doesn't "run" (hint: GPL covers redistribution too,
>    no matter if the code runs or not)

Accidents were made.  But you don't believe that.  How does cooperation
start?

> is totally beyond me.
>
> Yet Michael offered it.

He offered something after slagging someone to bits.  That's not a real
offer.

How does cooperation start, if the first statements are about theft
and lies?

It doesn't.  And you prefer it that way?
-