Search Linux Wireless

Re: OpenBSD bcw: Possible GPL license violation issues

On Thursday 05 April 2007 22:56, Theo de Raadt wrote:
> It makes me happy to show that I have empathy for a situation where
> someone who puts hundreds of hours of work in as a hobby, and to
> defend that person.  It makes me extremely unhappy that I have to do
> so, and that some other people think this is a non-event.

We put THOUSANDS of hours of work into bcm43xx and you
simply relicense it without permission. Your point being?

> > > <rest deleted, because the above line is so important>
> >
> > Snipped?  I presume, then, you admit you are misrepresenting others'
> > opinions in this thread.
>
> No, there was a side discussion about whitespace and variable naming,
> and even algorithms covered by the GPL.  Gimme a break.  These were
> essentially claimed by some of the examples shown by Michael.  Go look
> carefully.

You simply don't get it. These were EXAMPLES of why we think the
code was copied 1:1. This has NOTHING to do with copyright law
at this point. It simply shows: "Oh look, you named that variable
or that function exactly like I did, although the specs did not
suggest naming. Unlikely to be so by coincidence."

> That said, there were more real issues, and those have been dealt with
> in a reply from Marcus, plus the driver now being deleted.

I want to point out again that I _never_ made it a requirement
to delete the driver. I offered ways to handle it by going through
the code and judging on a case-by-case base of what can stay and
what has to be rewritten by you.

> The Italian dude in particular was complaining bitterly in private
> mail about the whitespace similarities... good grief, not whitespace
> similarities.  How SCO of him.

Yeah. Must be coincidence that you typed whitespace exactly like
we did. I'm sure this didn't come from copying, but from coincidence.

[Irony may be found in the mail above]

--
Greetings Michael.
-