Search Linux Wireless

Re: OpenBSD bcw: Possible GPL license violation issues

On Thursday 05 April 2007 18:34, Marcus Glocker wrote:
> OK, I decided to go for option 3:
>
> ***
>
> From: Marcus Glocker <mglocker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> To: source-changes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2007 10:25:25 -0600 (MDT)
> Subject: CVS: cvs.openbsd.org: src
>
> CVSROOT:        /cvs
> Module name:    src
> Changes by:     mglocker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx        2007/04/05 10:25:25
>
> Modified files:
>         sys/conf       : files
>         sys/dev/pci    : files.pci
>         sys/dev/cardbus: files.cardbus
> Removed files:
>         share/man/man4 : bcw.4
>         sys/dev/ic     : bcw.c bcwreg.h bcwvar.h
>         sys/dev/pci    : if_bcw_pci.c
>         sys/dev/cardbus: if_bcw_cardbus.c
>
> Log message:
> After been attacked by Michael Buesch <mb@xxxxxxxxx> because we initially
> were using some of their routines in the bcw driver, I decided to stop
> working on it.  To avoid any further license chit chat I plain drop the
> driver.
>
> ***
>
> Happy now?
>
> It's a pleasure to see how the OpenSource community stands together,
> and starting public wars instead of talking directly to the people
> involved.

I don't understand your reaction, really.
If you were really interrested in doing a Broadcom wireless driver for
openbsd, you would have chosen the option to relicense some code (and
therefore drop only that code which I refuse to relicense), which I gave
you.

It's a pity. I'd like you to sleep a night over this and rethink
your decision tomorrow.
Feel free to contact us to get code relicensed _before_ you re-add
it to the repository. This will make you and us happy and I'm sure
you'll have a working driver soon.

--
Greetings Michael.
-