Search Linux Wireless

Re: SIOCSIWAP behavior question

On Mon, 2007-04-02 at 18:58 +0200, Johannes Berg wrote:
> On Mon, 2007-04-02 at 09:47 -0400, Dan Williams wrote:
> > Should setting a BSSID trigger a disconnection event from the driver?
> > Obviously a disconnect event shouldn't be triggered if the BSSID being
> > set is the same BSSID the card is already associated with.  Or does that
> > mean "reassociate unconditionally" ?
>
> IMHO (answering your rephrased question with "always") it should unless
> the BSSIDs are really identical. After all, one disassociates from one
> BSS before associating to the other.

So it appears that you and Jouni have opposite views here?  I think a
pure & consistent approach would issue disconnect every time the driver
disassociated.  But I'm not sure that would actually work in practice
for all cases.  But I don't have a good idea of all the specifics or
implications.

I tend to think thought that Jouni's right and that within the same ESS
we shouldn't send disconnect events if you're just changing BSSID.

Dan

-