Search Linux Wireless

Re: SIOCSIWAP behavior question

On Mon, 2007-04-02 at 09:47 -0400, Dan Williams wrote:
> Should setting a BSSID trigger a disconnection event from the driver?
> Obviously a disconnect event shouldn't be triggered if the BSSID being
> set is the same BSSID the card is already associated with.  Or does that
> mean "reassociate unconditionally" ?

IMHO (answering your rephrased question with "always") it should unless
the BSSIDs are really identical. After all, one disassociates from one
BSS before associating to the other.

> The libertas driver currently does this; it sometimes confuses
> wpa_supplicant and is arguably wrong behavior because drivers don't
> issue disconnection events when auto-roaming from BSSID to BSSID in the
> same ESS.

Is there a way to trigger such events when auto-roaming? :)

> Thoughts?  I guess I vote for not sending disconnect events if that
> BSSID has the same capabilities and the same SSID as the current
> association BSS.

I think that just makes things unnecessarily complex -- we'd have to try
to see if two things are really the same ESS in the driver/stack/...

johannes