Search Linux Wireless

Re: WPA/RSN information in cfg80211?

Johannes Berg wrote:
> Looking through wpa_supplicant and then through the kernel I notice that
> we currently in the kernel special-case some things in SIOCSIWAUTH, for
> example IW_AUTH_WPA_VERSION is ignored since we rely on the IE that wpa
> supplicant gave us.

FWIW we currently use the value of IW_AUTH_WPA_VERSION to generate the
correct cipher suite selector when forming the set-key request for our
hard MAC device. We use other IW_AUTH settings too.

> I'm inclined to just require userspace to put both the IE and the
> individual settings into the relevant nl80211 messages, but then we
> might just as well piece the IE together from those settings, no?

We certainly need the individual settings. It is nice that
wpa_supplicant generates the IE - it saved me writing the code - but
that's just being lazy. We still have to modify the IE anyway to add WMM
stuff.

Mark

--
Mark Powell                              mailto:Mark.Powell@xxxxxxx
Group Leader, Host Drivers               Tel: +44 (0)1223 692000

To get further information regarding CSR, please visit our Investor Relations page at http://ir.csr.com/csr/about/overview
-