Search Linux Wireless

Re: WPA/RSN information in cfg80211?

On Wed, 2007-03-28 at 10:33 +0100, Mark Powell wrote:

> FWIW we currently use the value of IW_AUTH_WPA_VERSION to generate the
> correct cipher suite selector when forming the set-key request for our
> hard MAC device. We use other IW_AUTH settings too.

Ok so that means we definitely need the individual settings. I thought
so, but wanted to make sure.

> We certainly need the individual settings. It is nice that
> wpa_supplicant generates the IE - it saved me writing the code - but
> that's just being lazy. We still have to modify the IE anyway to add WMM
> stuff.

Do I read that as "I don't care if we get the IE"?

Putting the IE there has the advantage that you can easily play with new
things for cards that use the IE by sticking a few more IEs into the
attribute. But it has the disadvantage that cards behave differently if
you give them contradictory settings. Maybe we need a way to ask a card
which one it wants.

johannes