Search Linux Wireless

Re: Faking powersave for fun and realtime channel muxing

On Monday 19 March 2007 15:57, Andy Green wrote:
> Hi folks -
>
> If you could generate and manage powersave protocol frames to an AP from
> the mac80211 stack, without actually putting the radio to sleep, you
> could do some interesting things.

Like in my scanning patch series?

http://news.gmane.org/find-root.php?group=gmane.linux.kernel.wireless.general&article=770

This requires a bit of kernel side support to queue up frames on the client
side to maintain the illusion that nothing happened. (except for a brief
latency jump) However, it does seem to work for the wireless cards I've
tested. Doing scanning like this in userspace will require some sort of
interface to stop/restart the TX for the appropriate network interfaces, but
will probably make your multichannel association idea possible.

As for how long the AP will hold your frames.. 802.11 defines a minimum time,
but the maximum depends on the AP.

-Michael Wu