Search Linux Wireless

Re: Faking powersave for fun and realtime channel muxing

On Monday 19 March 2007 20:57, Andy Green wrote:
> Hi folks -
>
> If you could generate and manage powersave protocol frames to an AP from
> the mac80211 stack, without actually putting the radio to sleep, you
> could do some interesting things.
>
> For example you could allow any logical network interface to have a
> different channel.  In this case, during the time that the channel you
> are associated on has been told you have gone into powersave mode, you
> can actually spend time on that other channel, before switching the
> channel back to check in with the AP.  So you could for example run
> monitor mode on channel 11 while being associated on channel 2, given
> the limitation that sometimes you aren't listening because you are

And what's it good for to have a monitor device that randomly misses
half of the packets? I mean... rather useless, no?

> Depending on the limitations of the time you can arrange to "sleep" with
> the AP, using this technique you could even associate multiple logical
> interfaces to APs on different channels despite they are sharing one
> physical radio.  That could be cool for dealing with realtime selection
> of the best channel/AP when the guy is mobile, for example.
>
> Is there something like firmware constraints or the detail of the
> powersaving protocol that kill this dead or is it possible to consider?

For software MAC devices this might work. But I think performance would suck.
But it sounds like it's worth an experiment. So if you want to.. :)

--
Greetings Michael.
-