Search Linux Wireless

Re: network manager vs. missing firmware

Luis R. Rodriguez wrote:
On 2/13/07, James Ketrenos <jketreno@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Dan Williams wrote:

> The simpler, the better I think; but it's complicated.  A sample of
> current drivers and when they call request_firmware() from a 2.6.19
> kernel:
>
> on dev->open: atmel, prism54, bcm43xx (softmac)
> on dev->init: ipw2100, ipw2200

request_firmware is also used during mode changes (ie, BSS to IBSS to
MONITOR)

This is a bit off topic but if that's the case then we should also add
the check for Master mode and if so check to see if the AP firmware is
available and switch to on master mode. We'd then need to incorporate
the ap ipw2200 support on ipw2200

http://sourceforge.net/projects/ipw2200-ap

I wanted to try a patch to send along but I cannot find the relevent
code except the firmware there. Perhaps yorkliu can supply that
though.

Under the 'Download' link there is v0.3 available -- http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=149502

I haven't tried it myself. It hasn't been updated since Sept so probably needs some kernel API cleanup.

James
-