Search Linux Wireless

network manager vs. missing firmware

Hi,

Just remembered this issue from last year's summit and figured I'd bring
it up again since we never made progress on it.

Is there any idea other than standardising on a new error code
-ENOFIRMWARE that can be returned from device up or association or
wherever makes sense for the driver. Or do we also mandate that it be
returned on device up, and for example never on module load? I think
it's mostly a question of documentation/driver acceptance policy/driver
review as well as a question of whether we can get a new error code into
the kernel or not.........

johannes