Sameness in Scan Results

Thanks for your response, Dan...

>> I've searched the mailing list and bugzilla without avail, for what
>> seems like a very obvious problem. Whenever I do a scan, wide or normal,
>> the scan results all return with an identical RSSI and SNR. This
>> behavior can even be seen in the documentation for 1.5.2:
>
> That's because the same exact tower and radios broadcast the IDs for
> each of these networks.  CLEAR is the actual provider, but the other 3
> are simply "virtual operators" or really "Network Service Providers"
> while Clear provides the towers.  So it's no wonder that they all look
> exactly the same except for the ID: because they are all coming from the
> same exact radios at the base station.
>
> If there was more than one WiMAX provider in your area (not just CLEAR
> and 3 others reselling CLEAR under their own name) then you'd see
> different results.

At my site on the University of Colorado, I have at least 3 distinct
BSes on different buildings and operating at different center
frequencies, so it stands to reason they would have different CINR/RSSI
stats. I also see other operators, such as CLEAR and SPRINT networks in
my area and those show up with the same RSSI/CINR as well.

I'd be happy to reproduce this and share debug information if you let me
know what would be useful to see (I reckon the output of wimaxcu scan
wide isn't helpful).

 >> I'm a researcher at the
>> University of Colorado and am hoping to use the driver in a measurement
>> platform. So, what I'd really like is more detailed scan results (per
>> station frequency, bsid, CINR, RSSI, etc.). I've tried to determine if
>> this information exists somewhere but as far as I can tell, what's in
>> wimaxd.log is probably my best bet (without substantial, and deep
>> modifications to the driver)?

Any thoughts on my second question, w/r/t how to get more detailed
per-BS performance stats from the scan results?

Thanks!

--
Caleb Phillips

[Index of Archives]     [Linux Kernel]     [Linux Wireless]     [Linux Bluetooth]     [Linux Netdev]     [Linux Kernel Newbies]     [IDE]     [Security]     [Git]     [Netfilter]     [Bugtraq]     [Yosemite News]     [MIPS Linux]     [ARM Linux]     [Linux Security]     [Linux RAID]     [Linux ATA RAID]     [Samba]     [Video 4 Linux]     [Device Mapper]