Trying to use multiple EchoPeak 5150 cards

On Mon, 2010-09-27 at 14:52 -0700, Kyle Williams wrote:
> I was also working on something simular with the 1.4.0 version of the
> Driver.
> Your dirty hack was the same one that came to my mind.
>

> So I have a wimaxd-wmx0, wimaxd-wmx1, wimaxd-wmx2, etc...
> Same for wimaxcu-wmx0, wimaxcu-wmx1, etc...
>

> I changed the code to look for config.wmx0.xml, config.wmx1.xml, etc.
> Also had to change the listening port in each XML file for each card,
> 1234, 1235, etc..

Good to hear it works!

I recommend you go with the different prefix approach -- otherwise when
the code modifies the xml databases, they are going to conflict. Unless
of course (and this is way cleaner) you also add the 'diferentiation'
string to all the paths that the code accesses (databases, log files and
config file).

I think a rough list wouldbe:

/var/run/wimaxd.pid
/var/log/wimax/*log
/var/lib/WiMAX_{DB,Def}.bin

If you do that in 1.5, I'd love a patch to add it to the main tree!!

maybe we could forfait the config.xml one if we did something like
adding the interface's index number to a base port number (again, this
is super dirty but a quick hack):

$ cat /sys/class/net/wmx0/ifindex
5

from config.xml, SdkPort is 49001, so wmx0 uses 49001+5, wmx1

$ cat /sys/class/net/wmx1/ifindex
8

would use 49001+8

and then another patch to wimaxcu to take a '-i' argument that defaults
to wmx0 would round the whole thing.

> It's really a rough work around, but I successfully got 3 different
> cards working on 1 box last night, so I'm content.
>

> Thank you for the advice with the 1.5 version! :)
>

> - Kyle
>

> On Mon, Sep 27, 2010 at 1:24 PM, Inaky Perez-Gonzalez
> <inaky at linux.intel.com> wrote:
>         Hi Kyle
>

>         On Sat, 2010-09-25 at 03:50 -0700, Kyle Williams wrote:
>         > Hello,
>         >
>         >
>         > I'm trying to use three Intel EchoPeak 5150 cards working on
>         a single
>         > PC.  I noticed with the latest wimaxd has the "-i" option
>         which allows
>         > the specification of the interface for wimaxd to control,
>         but the
>         > wimaxcu program does not allow the same type of
>         specification.  Is
>         > there some way to specify which wimaxd instance the wimaxcu
>         program
>         > controls?
>         >
>         >
>         > The objective is to get three Echopeek 5150 cards to all
>         work on the
>         > same system.
>         > Is this possible at this time?
>         > Will the wimaxcu program support this down the road?
>

>         It is possible but very dirty. Unfortunately the daemon
>         doesn't have
>         provisions to identify different interfaces at the RPC level.
>
>         The ugly trick I use is configure three builds with three
>         different
>         prefixes (to avoid the databases getting corrupted) and then
>         modify
>         each's configuration file (prefix/wimax/config.xml) so that
>         <sdkportnum>
>         are different.
>
>         somehting like:
>
>         tar xf wimax-1.5.tar.gz
>         for v in 0 1 2
>         do
>         mkdir build-wmx$v
>         (cd build-wmx$v && ../wimax/configure --prefix=/opt/wimax/wmx
>         $v/
>         --program-suffix=-wmx$v && make install)
>         done
>
>         [change the port numbers
>         in /opt/wimax/wmx*/etc/wimax/config.xml]
>
>         I then add the /opt/wimax/wmx*/bin paths to my PATH and just
>         have to
>         start
>
>         $ for v in 0 1 2; do wimaxd-wmx$v -i wmx$v -b; done
>
>         and in the command line
>
>         $ wimaxcu-wmx0 scan ..
>         etc
>
>         As I said, it is dirty as heck, but it does the trick.
>

>         Then start once instance of each daemon with -i IFACENAME and
>         call the

[Index of Archives]     [Linux Kernel]     [Linux Wireless]     [Linux Bluetooth]     [Linux Netdev]     [Linux Kernel Newbies]     [IDE]     [Security]     [Git]     [Netfilter]     [Bugtraq]     [Yosemite News]     [MIPS Linux]     [ARM Linux]     [Linux Security]     [Linux RAID]     [Linux ATA RAID]     [Samba]     [Video 4 Linux]     [Device Mapper]