Wimax cards for laptop

I want to purchase a wimax card that works with the Linux
drivers supported here.  I have 3 Dell Inspiron D820 laptops
and 1 Dell Vostro 1400 each containing full height MiniPCIe
card slots.

1) I do not know if a half card will work in there.  If you have
actual experience, Let me know.  I can guess by myself.

2) Where do people buy these cards for an existing laptop?
I have been shopping for such devices using Google and
cannot find ones compatible with the CLEAR internet service.

3) Can anyone confirm that cards are specific to manufacturer
and laptop model.  That would be inane!

I understand a BIOS upgrade might be required for Windows
operation, but doesn't Linux load the appropriate firmware for
a compatible device?  Some advertisements say "For
Lenovo or HP only"  Others say "not for Lenovo or HP!"

4)  I want to purchase an Intel 5150, 5250, or 6250 cards
separate from a new laptop computer system preferably from
a US seller.  How does Intel expect to sell these items if they
are so hard to acquire?  Is there another brand of internal
wimax card that works as well with the Intel Linux drivers?  I
have found engineering samples from a Hong Kong e Bay seller
which are not compatible with the CLEAR network.

I have broken the question down into parts but it is a very
simple question:

How do I avoid purchasing a new laptop (with accompanying
Microsoft Windows license) just to test the Linux wimax support
you are developing?

I already have to purchase a Clear service agreement.

Clear only wants to sell you a breakable USB dongle (or the
Linux compatible home unit which *is* accessible via Ethernet
and using a Linksys/Netgear wifi router to my Linux laptops)
but I want mobility.   Besides the USB dongle is not Linux
compatible anyway.

Clear doesn't even want to learn how to spell Linux.  They
think its a version of Mac.  Pretty sure it is.

Dell parts line is no help either.

Intel has automated its phone lines and tells you to call your
computer manufacturer.

Sorry for my frustration.  I have been searching for a solution
to this since November 2009.

Does the chipset in my laptop dictate the generation of wimax
I can use in my notebook?

I know how to get a wimax card but I was hoping for an easier way.
1)Go to a computer store.
2)Purchase a wimax notebook.
3)Goto parking lot.
4)Remove wimax card.
5)Return notebook to computer store for refund.

I dont even mind if they charge me for removing the wimax
card.  It is a FRU!  But I wanna know the part number!
And where to order it from!

Thank you

Othniel Graichen