64 bit

I have seen many messages regarding supplicant, feel I can offer some
insights here.
Simple to the question, yes and no.
Yes, you can port any open source supplicant to wimax device, while
wpa_supplicant is the most popular one. No, the work is not just
porting, supplicant is much more than that.
The purpose of supplicant is to communicate with wimax backbone AAA
server to derive the MSK/eMSK key, which it can hand over to 802.16e mac
key manangement module for the key managing stuff, i.e. kek, tek,  etc.
802.16e device and AP mac software don't participate in this process,
and they don't understand this either. So 802.16e spec use pkm message
to wrap around whatever the supplicant protocol, mostly it's radius, and
just tunnel thru the message to backend AAA server. In addition, when
the key expires, key management module need to work with supplicant
again to rederive the key.
In theory, you can move everything the host/device side (which is this
linux wimax project) into 802.16e mac software, assume the mac has
enough memory. You can build all the NAP/NSP parameters into the
firmware download process so mac can run it alone to achieve network
entry. But supplicant is the only exception, because it needs to deal
with certificate and use ssl package.
To port over wpa_supplicant, you need to:
. strip out wpa_supplicant outer layer, i.e., eapol, replace it with
properitary protocol state machine that host and mac agree on, so the
device mac layer will tunnel thru supplicant protocol in pkm message.
. in addition, you need to work out all the reauthentication and
expiration issues. In tradditional supplicant, once the MSK key has been
derived, supplicant is done. In wimax device, supplicant still need to
work with mac software for 3 way tek handshaking, and provide API for
outside world for its security parameters.
In essential, you need wpa_supplicant for its eap state machine, which
in turn links to openssl for certificate processing, and its data
structure.
There can be a whole document describing 802.16e key management and
supplicant. I just throw out a simple outline.
In practice, I have developed wimax supplicant for a Motorola wimax
device which is based on wpa_supplicant, using the steps that I have
described above. I have ported over Beceem's supplicant to an embedded
device, you guess it, they use wpa_supplicant too.

Charles