Linux-compatible watchdog add-on?

Hi,

Sorry if my question is off-topic for this list.

I have a computer that experienced a kernel failure while a was far away
and nobody could reboot it. So I thought it would be nice to have a
watchdog. Unfortunately, to the best of my knowledge, it has no hardware
watchdog, so I thought I should add one.

Hence, do you have suggestions for I²C-, serial- or USB-connected
watchdog add-ons? It should of course be compatible with linux.

I found
  http://www.berkprod.com/Product_Web_Pages/usb_v1_pc_watchdog.aspx
but I think it is a little too expensive.

If no such thing exists, I might consider designing my own (open
hardware) I²C- or USB-connected watchdog add-on, using a cheap MCU. But
then I would welcome opinions on what the interface between the host and
watchdog should look like.

Cheers,

--
Nicolas Boullis

[Index of Archives]     [Linux ARM Kernel]     [Linux ARM]     [Linux Omap]     [Fedora ARM]     [IETF Annouce]     [Security]     [Bugtraq]     [Linux]     [Linux OMAP]     [Linux MIPS]     [eCos]     [Asterisk Internet PBX]     [Linux API]