Re: In-reply-to: <1448056496-2335-1-git-send-email-damien.riegel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

[Ccing Guenter as he reviewed the patches]

On Mon, Nov 23, 2015 at 04:02:52PM +0100, Harald Geyer wrote:
> Hi,
>
> sorry for breaking the threading. Only stumbled upon this message in the
> webarchive of the Mailinglist and couldn't reconstruct full headers ...
>
> I think there is an issue with your patch:
>
> +static int watchdog_reboot_notifier(struct notifier_block *nb,
> +				    unsigned long code, void *data)
> +{
> +	struct watchdog_device *wdd = container_of(nb, struct watchdog_device,
> +						   reboot_nb);
> +
> +	if (code == SYS_DOWN || code == SYS_HALT) {
>
> I think you want this to be (code == SYS_POWER_OFF || code == SYS_HALT)
> AFAIK SYS_DOWN is the code for a reboot, where the system should come
> back up immediatly, so probably we shouldn't disable the watchdog in
> this case, for the system might crash during going down.

Well, most of the drivers (all of them but gpio) that I changed stopped
on SYS_HALT and SYS_DOWN, so they explicitely wanted to stop the
watchdog on reboot. I just factorized that in watchdog core.

Maybe they should not stop on reboot in the first place, but this serie
does not introduce a new behaviour. Also, note that the watchdog will
be stopped only if it registers for that by calling
watchdog_stop_on_reboot, so there is no side effect for watchdogs that
should not be stopped.

> More importantly however we should stop the watchdog on SYS_POWER_OFF
> I think.

My understanding here is that if the system is powered off, the watchdog
will be powered off too, so there is no need to stop it.

Damien