Re: ipmi watchdog questions

On Fri, May 02, 2014 at 10:18:03AM -0700, Guenter Roeck wrote:

> >>Ah, but now you are talking about a specific implementation, which is a bit
> >>different. The question here is what you expect to occur when a pretimeout
> >>happens, and you have a certain set of expectations. Personally I don't know
> >>what the best solution is; maybe a sysfs attribute or, yes, some activity
> >>on the watchdog device entry. Why don't you (or Don) suggest something
> >>and come up with a patch set for review ?
> >
> >I look through the only other two watchdogs that I could find with
> >pretimeouts (kempld and hpwdt).  hpwdt uses NMI as its pretimeout
> >notification, while kempld uses a low level configured action (nmi, smi,
> >sci, delay).  I think ipmi is the only one that chooses a user space
> >implementation (which raises another question[1]).
> >
> >I can try to respectfully copy the ipmi implementation to watchdog_dev.c
> >and set a wdd->option to indicate its use and in addition add the
> >pretimeout ioctls to watchdog_dev.c (and struct watchdog_device).
> >
> >Otherwise I am not sure if adding read, fasync, and poll wrappers to
> >watchdog_dev.c looks like a dirty hack.
> >
> >Cheers,
> >Don
> >
> >[1] if the system is stuck such that the pretimeout goes off, is it even
> >possible for userspace to run?  Or guaranteed that it could run reliably?
> >Just curious behind the history for this addition.
> >

> I would guess it depends. In most cases, I would assume it reflects that the
> watchdog daemon did not run. This in turn may suggest that userspace is,
> for all practical purposes, unable to run. Given that, I would suspect that
> a solution which depends on user space to act will in most cases not be able
> to fulfil its purpose, and I would not want to depend on it.

I am sure Corey ran into one vendor who wanted it, hence why he
implemented it.  But yeah, I am not sure I would depend on it either.

> Note that kempld in practice only implements NMI, though the HW can
> do more. I can ask Kontron for feedback on their opinion for possible
> actions (and why they didn't implement other actions in the driver).

I don't have much interest in it really.  I was just looking at what other
vendors did as reference.  NMI makes sense.  Though I don't see an NMI
handler, so I assume they just use the NMI to force a panic (like the
hpwdt does, sortof)?

Cheers,
Don