Re: Standardizing an MSR or other hypercall to get an RNG seed?

On Thu, Sep 18, 2014 at 6:28 PM, Andy Lutomirski <luto@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 18, 2014 at 6:03 PM, Andy Lutomirski <luto@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>>> Why do you need a wider MSR range if you always detect the feature by
>>> CPUID.0x48000001?
>>> Or are you still trying to avoid the detection by CPUID?
>>
>> Detecting the feature is one thing, but figuring out the MSR index is
>> another.  We could shove the index into the cpuid leaf, but that seems
>> unnecessarily indirect.  I'd much rather just say that CPUID leaves
>> *and* MSR indexes 0x48000000-0x4800ffff or so are reserved for the
>> cross-HV mechanism, but we can't do that without either knowingly
>> violating the SDM assignments or asking Intel to consider allocating
>> more MSR indexes.
>>
>> Also, KVM is already conflicting with the SDM right now in its MSR
>> choice :(  I *think* that KVM could be changed to fix that, but 256
>> MSRs is rather confining given that KVM currently implements its own
>> MSR index *and* part of the Hyper-V index.
>
> Correction and update:
>
> KVM currently implements its own MSRs and, optionally, some of the
> Hyper-V MSRs.  By my count, Linux knows about 68 Hyper-V MSRs (in a
> header file), and there are current 7 KVM MSRs, so over 1/4 of the
> available MSR indices are taken (and even more would be taken if KVM
> were to move its MSRs into the correct range).

I slept on it, and I think using the CPUID instruction alone would be
simple and efficient:
- We have a huge space for CPUID leaves
- CPUID also works for user-level
- It can take an additional 32-bit parameter (ECX), and returns 4
32-bit values (EAX, EBX, ECX, and EDX).  RDMSR, for example, returns a
64-bit value.

Basically we can use it to implement a hypercall (rather than VMCALL).

For example,
- CPUID 0x48000001.EAX would return the feature presence (e.g. in
EBX), and the result in EDX:EAX (if present) at the same time, or
- CPUID 0x48000001.EAX would return the feature presence only, and
CPUID 0x48000002.EAX (acts like a hypercall) returns up to 4 32-bit
values.

--
Jun
Intel Open Source Technology Center